The Sisters of Mercy came to Gympie in 1879 and the Christian Brothers in 1904 to teach in schools already established by the Catholic community. Over the years both orders conducted boarding schools. The girls' boarding facility closed in 1969 and the boys' in 1978.
St Patrick's College opened in January, 1983 as a Catholic Co-Educational College for students from Years 8 - 12, an amalgamation of the two schools. since 2015, St Patrick's College caters for students from Years 7 - 12.
Our College upholds the traditions of these schools by the celebration of Founders' Day in hounour of the Religious Orders, and by house names.
In 2004 past pupils of our founding schools - the Christian Brothers College for Boys (established in 1904) and the Sisters of Mercy High School for Girls (established in 1916) held a reunion and gathering to celebrate the 125th Anniversary of the arrival of the Sisters of Mercy in Gympie and the 100th Anniversary of the arrival of the Christian Brothers in Gympie.
The Chairman of the Reunion Committee was Mr Nev Bermingham and he and his committee created the book linked below -
Gympie Catholic Schools 1879 2003
Mrs Sharyn Portas has been researching the history of World War 1 soldiers connected with both St Patrick's Parish and the Christian Brothers School.
Sharyn's research is contained in the publication - WW1 Soldiers of St Patrick's Parish